The most frequent task of an e-commerce store administrator is to add new products, remove products, or update products information in the store. In this tutorial, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process to manage products in Magento 2.
- Adding New Products to the Store Catalog –
- Removing Products from the Store Catalog
- Updating Product Information
Adding New Products to the Store Catalog
Go to Products => Catalog
You’ll see the Catalog page:
Click on Add Product to go to the new product page:
There are a number of fields on the new product page, which will specify the type of product you want to add and its attributes.
We’ll go through each field one-by-one for you to add the required information below:
- Enable Product: Set the product to be displayed online by setting this to “Yes”.
- Attribute Set: You can set which group of attributes (Attribute Sets) you want to assign to the product.
- Product Name: Assign a name to your product here.
- SKU: Assign an SKU number to your product here. Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) is a unique identifier assigned to the product.
- Price: This is the regular price of the product. Notice there’s an Advanced Pricing button below this field. If you want to learn more about advanced pricing, follow our tutorial on how to configure advanced pricing in Magento 2.
- Tax Class: Set which tax rules apply to the product from here.
- Quantity: Set inventory quantity of the product here. Notice there’s an Advanced Inventory button below this field. If you want to learn more about advanced inventory options, follow our tutorial on how to configure advanced inventory in Magento 2.
- Stock Status: Set whether the product is in-stock or out-of-stock here.
- Weight: Put the weight of the product here (if applicable).
- Visibility: You can set where you want the product to be visible – in the catalog, in search or in both. You can also set a product to not be visible individually in case of configurable products.
- Categories: Set which categories must a product belong to here. If you want to read more on how to create categories in Magento 2, we’ve made this easy-to-follow tutorial for you.
- Set Product as New From-To: You can mark a product as “New” for a specified period of time here.
- Country of Manufacture: Set the country where your product is manufactured here.
- Description: Provide a description about your product here.
- Short Description: Provide the product description in short here.
- Create Configurations: This tab is used to create configurable products. Learn more on how to create configurable products in this tutorial.
Images and Videos
- Add Video: You can add product videos using this button. Follow our tutorial to learn more on how to add youtube videos as product videos.
- Browse to find or drag images here: You can drag and drop images here to add multiple images to a product.
Search Engine Optimization
- URL Key: Specify URL for the product here.
Quick Tip: Use a hyphen to separate words in URLs. Avoid using numbers or stop words in product URLs.
- Meta Title: Specify meta title for the product here. Meta title is used by search engines to the display title of product page in search results.
- Meta Keywords: Specify which keywords are relevant to your product here. Keywords are used by search engines for product details page.
Quick Tip: Choose your keywords wisely. Do keyword research to find words which are being searched for most, and are relevant to your product.
- Meta Description: Specify meta description for the product here. Meta descriptions are shown below the title of the product page in search results.
We’ve created a comprehensive guide for you to get an insight on all the out-of-the-box SEO features in Magento 2.
- Add Option: Add custom options to the product here. Your customers can then choose the product variation they want according to the offer price.
- Below are the fields for which the product can be customized:
- Text Field
- Text Area
- Radio Buttons
- Multiple Select
- Date and Time
Products in Websites
- Websites: If you have multiple views set for your Magento site, choose a specific view for the product here.
- Layout: Choose the layout for the product detail page here.
- Display Product Options In: Choose where you want the product options to be displayed here. You can either set the display option to Product Info Column or Block after Info Column.
- Layout Update XML: Add customer XML configurations for the layout here. For example, you can add custom style sheets for the product detail page.
Schedule Design Update
- Schedule Design Form: You can schedule the ‘from’ and ‘to’ dates for when a custom design is to be applied.
- New Theme: Specify which theme is to be applied on the scheduled dates.
- New Layout: Specify which layout is to be used on product display pages on the scheduled dates.
- Allow Gift Message: You can allow a customer to add a gift message for this product by setting this to ‘Yes’.
- Is this a downloadable Product: This setting is enabled only if you’ve set the Weight to This item has no weight. You can add links and samples for a downloadable product here.
Removing Products from the Store Catalog
To remove a product, go to Products => Catalog. You’ll see a list of your existing products.
Select the product you want to delete and select Delete option from the drop-down list.
Updating Product Information
To update product information, you’ve to follow the same first two steps as when adding a product.
Go to Products => Catalog and the catalog page will be displayed with your existing products.
Click on Edit or click on the Product you want to edit.
You’ll be shown the edit product page:
Here you can modify the value of existing attributes. You can also add a new attribute to the product by clicking on Add Attribute.
Once you’re done updating product information, click Save to save the changes.
And that’s all there is to managing products in Magento 2! Hope this guide is of help to you.
Stuck somewhere? Ask us and we’d be happy to help.