Do you want to charge your customers a fixed price for shipping their products? Magento 2 allows you to offer a flat rate shipping method to your customers. It can be applied to the complete order or individual items according to your preference.
You can even add a handling fee – for packaging costs etc. – to the shipping cost. You have the option to keep the handling fee fixed per order or a percent of the shipping cost.
This tutorial is a part of our series on configuring shipping settings in Magento 2.
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to set up flat rate shipping in Magento 2.
Setting Up Flat Rate Shipping
Step 1: Go to Stores => Configuration (under Settings)
Step 2: Expand Sales tab on the left sidebar and click on Shipping Methods.
Step 3: Expand the Flat Rate section.
Step 4: Uncheck the Use system value box and fill in the following details:
- Enabled: Choose “Yes” to enable flat shipping on your Magento store.
- Title: Type in a descriptive name for your shipping method.
- Method Name: This is displayed on the storefront near the calculated rate in the shopping cart. Type in the name you want to display on the storefront. Magento keeps this field to “Fixed” by default.
- Type: You can set the flat rate shipping to one of the three types available:
- None: Choose this option if you don’t want the flat rate to apply, which makes it similar to free shipping.
- Per Order: Choose this option if you want to charge a flat rate for the entire order.
- Per Item: In case you want to charge fixed shipping cost per item, select this option.
- Price: Set the price which will be charged as the flat rate. The price you set here will be used along with the Type setting you selected in the previous section to calculate shipping costs.
- Calculate Handling Fee: If you want to charge an extra handling fee along with the shipping charges, select one of the following options:
- Fixed: Select this option if you want to charge a fixed cost as the handling fee.
- Percent: Select this option if you want to charge a percentage of shipping cost as the handling fee.
- Handling Fee: Set the handling fee you want to charge. Depending on the option you select in the previous section, this number will either be used as a fixed cost or a percentage.
- Displayed Error Message: Type in your custom error message which will be displayed if the flat shipping method is unavailable for an order.
- Ship to Applicable Countries: Set which countries you want to ship to when the flat rate is applied.
- All Allowed Countries: Select this option if you want to ship to all the countries allowed in your store configuration.
- Specific Countries: Select this option if you want to ship to only a subset of the allowed countries. When you choose this option, two additional fields become available: Ship to Specific Countries and Show Method if Not Applicable.
- Ship to Specific Countries: Select which countries you want to ship to under the flat rate shipping method.
Show Method if Not Applicable: This field appears when you select shipping only to specific countries.
- Yes: Select ‘Yes’ to always show the shipping method – even when it is not applicable to the order.
- No: Select ‘No’ to not display the shipping method when it is not applicable to the order.
- Sort Order: Set the position of flat rate shipping method in your shipping methods list. Set this to ‘0’ to keep your shipping method first in the list.
Step 5: Once you’ve filled in the necessary details, click on the Save Config button in the top right corner of the page.
You’ll be prompted to refresh the cache via a system pop-up message.
Follow these steps to flush the cache.
This brings us to the end of our tutorial on setting up flat rate shipping in Magento 2.