In an ecommerce website, you may need different admin users to perform different tasks. For example, one admin user may be responsible for uploading and managing products and another may be solely responsible for marketing activities.
So to complete their tasks, they require access to different pages in your Magento 2 admin panel. You want them to have access only to pages they need. Magento 2 allows you to create new admin users and give specific privileges to them. You can also modify access permissions for existing admin users.
This is a two-part tutorial series on managing users in Magento 2 which will cover how to add new users and how to manage their roles.
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to create a new admin user in Magento 2.
Creating New Admin Users
To create a new admin user follow these steps:
Step 1: Go to System => All Users (under Permissions)
You’ll be displayed a list of existing admin users.
Step 2: Click on the Add New User button to add a new admin user. You’ll be displayed a New User page.
The New User page has two sections – User Info and User Role.
Step 3: Fill in the details of the User Info section as below:
- Account Information: Fill in all the information required to create a new admin account –
- User Name: Set a username for your new admin user. Make sure you don’t use space in the username.
- First Name: Type in their first name.
- Last Name: Type in their last name.
- Email: Specify their email address.
- Password: Create a password for the new admin user.
- Password Confirmation: Re-type the password for confirmation.
- Interface Locale: Set the display language for the interface. The default value of this setting is English (United States) / English (United States).
- This account is: Set whether you want the new admin account to be “Active” or “Inactive”.
- Current User Identity Verification: You need to verify that you’re an admin user to add a new admin account.
- Your Password: Type in your password to verify that you’re an admin user and you have the rights to create a new user.
Step 4: Click on the User Role tab from the left sidebar. Select the Administrators round button.
Step 5: Click on Save User button to create the new admin user.
This concludes our tutorial on how to add admin users in Magento 2. The next part of this tutorial series will cover how to manage user roles in Magento 2.