You’ve been using Magento 1.x platform as your prefered ecommerce platform for quite a while now. You must be wondering whether you should be taking the leap and upgrade to Magento 2? Well, we’ve listed the pros and cons of the new version so that you can make an informed decision.
The new features and upgrades on Magento 2 make it faster, better, a more flexible and a future-ready platform as compared to the older versions. There are many changes that have been made to the platform since its inception back in 2006-07. With the launch of new Magento 2.2 version, you can now transfer your product catalog to a Facebook store!
If you’ve already got a running website, the decision to upgrade poses quite a challenge. The new version has seen a complete framework overhaul and a completely new code base. We can show you why this upgrade to Magento 2 is needed to make your business be better prepared for future changes in customer trends. Mobile micro-moments are the thing now – people just take out their mobile devices, search for something and click Buy!
So without further ado, here’s the list of key features and upgrades in Magento 2.
Key Features and Upgrades in Magento 2:
1) Improved Performance:
The biggest flaw of any Magento 1.x based website was slow Page Load times (up to 5-10 seconds!). Imagine a slow loading page in today’s world of high-speed internet and on-the-go mobile users who are at an advanced stage of the buying process. Magento 2 has been designed keeping performance in mind – the Page Load time has drastically decreased from 30% to 50% faster load time.
Reports suggest Magento 2 can handle 39% more orders per hour and up to 66% faster add-to-carts as compared to Magento 1.x. Better server functionality has enabled Magento 2 to manage 10 million page views an hour as compared to Magento 1.x’s 200,000 page views an hour (a stark 1900% increase in functional capability!).
You can learn more about the performance improvement in this white paper released by Magento.
The Magento team have gone the extra step to reduce server load using:
- AJAX Cart: To add items to the cart without having to reload the entire page resulting in lesser load on the hosting server and better, more responsive experience for the shoppers.
- Full Page Caching: With Varnish cache, there is no need for slow database queries on web servers to render a page. Implementation of the static file system has considerably reduced the page load time to 1-2 seconds.
- Reduced Table Locking: When there’s a lot of buyers trying to place an order, tables in the database servers on Magento 1 got blocked and buyers needed to wait for as long as 45 seconds to place the order. Magento 2 takes care of this problem and you can be rest assured your buyers are never made to wait.
- Hosting Environment Improvements: To tackle huge traffic spikes, server load is spread across the hosting infrastructure and multiple servers resulting in better functionality.
2) Improved Administrative Tools
- Easy Product Creation: It is easier to add products to the store catalog now with Magento 2’s bulk upload features. Product images and pricing can be updated individually for different sets or in bulk. Products can be added to the store more accurately and quickly – 4 times faster than Magento 1.x.
- Improved Data View and Filtering: The biggest benefit of upgrading to Magento 2 is uncluttered grid view and easy-to-use admin panel. You don’t need developers to sort and filter data and view information.
- Navigation Improvements: Visualizing information has never been easier. Organized menus let you find pages, functionalities and reports with little effort. The learning curve for administrators is small and they can achieve better productivity levels now with Magento 2’s succinct navigation.
- Data Safeguards: Magento 1 was designed for a single administrator to make changes to the product data at a given time. For large e-commerce businesses, this is a limitation. Magento 2 framework allows multiple administrators to work on product data simultaneously and still keep the data safe bringing efficiency and making collaboration easier.
- Product Videos: Magento 2 enables simple video integration from sources like Vimeo and Youtube.
- Visual Design Editor: The new “drag and drop” interface allows administrators to make changes to Magento layout without having to know about the specialized technical stuff. Now you have more control over your online store’s appearance.
3) Improved Customer Experience
- Streamlined Checkout: Checkout is the last stage of the online sales process and also a stage where customers abandon their carts. Checkouts have become simpler and smoother with the following features making the whole process streamlined –
- Simplified Registration and Guest Logins: Instead of the customers having to register themselves at the time of checkout – which results in errors and confusion – Magento 2 allows the registration to be done after the checkout has been done. Customers who want to track their order status register with you and you get to build customer information database easily.
- Order Summary: Customers now get to see order details including product images at every step of the checkout process. This lowers sales returns, increases buyer confidence, and results in higher conversion rates.
- ElasticSearch (Available in Enterprise edition): Improved search experience which handles large catalogs and enables scaling search capacity. Easy setup and support for 33 languages out of the box makes this a standout Magento 2 feature. ElasticSearch focuses on relevancy and supports attribute weighting and misspelling suggestions.
|Note: ElasticSearch is only available in Magento 2 Enterprise edition. The Community edition supports only MySQL Search engine.|
Learn more about how search works in Magento 2 here.
- Third Party Payment Gateways in Magento 2:
- Security: Inline inFrame allows payment form to be hosted by the third party merchants but can still be embedded in the checkout process. This mitigates the risk of credit card information being hacked/stolen from the website.
- Magento 2 comes with the improved integration of services provided by PayPal, Braintree, CyberSource, Authorize.net, and WorldPay.
- Unnecessary steps like billing address and credit card type sections from Magento 1.x versions have been removed by automated detection of the first digit of credit cards and billing address being handled by third-party payment gateways like PayPal.
- Mobile Browsing Enhancements: Studies show that around 50% transactions done online are on mobile devices. Magento 2 with HTML5 front-end support and responsive websites helps you create a better user experience for mobile users. The focus is on making browsing fast and less complicated. Search capabilities and checkouts have been optimized for faster performance on mobile devices.
While Magento provides Data Migration tool which facilitates products, orders and customer data migration using simple export and import, there are technical complications which can create problems in the upgrade process. Some of these issues are:
- Checking whether servers meet requirements for Magento 2 upgrade.
- Legacy extensions or old bad codes must be removed. There is no place for non-optimized code in Magento 2 framework.
- Design themes and extensions may need to be rebuilt from scratch as Magento 1.x and Magento 2 structures differ fundamentally.
Magento 2 lowers the development costs and has a faster time to market. It has low long-term maintenance cost and greater flexibility to adapt to new opportunities. With its modern web technology stack, improved scalability, high-quality code, easier and cleaner installations, migrating to Magento 2 a no-brainer in your business’ long-term growth strategy.
At Humcommerce, we have one of the best open-source development talent and a proven professional work history with nearly 6 years of experience in building e-commerce stores, their marketing and extensions development. We would like to open a conversation with you on what issues you face in your current Magento website and how we can help you by taking care of the technical details so you can focus on whats more important – driving sales and growing your business.